Are you in the market for a new laptop? If so, you may be wondering what kind of laptop you should buy. There are many factors to consider when purchasing a laptop, such as price, features, and specifications. This guide will help you narrow down your choices and find the perfect laptop for your needs.
When deciding what laptop to buy, you should first consider what you will be using it for. If you need a laptop for work or school, you will need one with certain features and specifications. However, if you are only using it for personal use, you can be more flexible with your choices.
Another important factor to consider is your budget. You can find laptops at a variety of price points, so it is important to decide how much you are willing to spend. Once you have a price range in mind, you can start looking at laptops that fit your budget.
There are many different laptops on the market, so it is important to do your research before making a purchase. This guide will help you find the perfect laptop for your needs.
When it comes to laptops, there are a lot of factors to consider before making a purchase. But with so many options on the market, it can be tough to decide which one is right for you. Here are a few things to keep in mind when narrowing down your choices.
First, think about what you’ll be using your laptop for. Are you a student who needs something for schoolwork and light gaming? Or are you a professional who needs a powerful machine for work and creative projects? Figuring out how you’ll primarily be using your laptop will help you zero in on the right model.
Next, consider your budget. Laptops range in price from around $200 to $2000, so it’s important to have a number in mind before you start shopping. Keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for when it comes to laptops, so don’t be afraid to invest in a quality machine if you can afford it.
Once you’ve considered your needs and budget, it’s time to start looking at specific laptops. For students, we recommend the Acer Aspire E 15. It’s affordably priced and comes packed with features like a 15.6-inch Full HD display, Intel Core i5 processor, and 8
Also, read our latest guide about How to remove hard drive from laptop?
2-in-1 Vs. Traditional Laptops
When it comes to the laptop’s form factor, you’ll need to choose between traditional laptops and versatile 2-in-1 laptops. The 2-in-1 laptops combine a powerful laptop and go anywhere thanks to its lightweight design. That’s why they are also called convertible & Hybrid laptops.
2-in-1 laptops typically feature a flip & fold design on a 360-degree hinge or sometimes a detachable keyboard. This unique design lets you adjust the laptop to best suit your activity whether typing documents, reading books, or watching movies. As compared to tablets, 2-in-1 laptops include more USB ports and several connectivity options.
The Operating System (OS) is the heart of your computer. It handles all your software & hardware including files, memory, and connected devices. Most importantly, it also lets you to interact with your laptop and your programs in a visual way.
There are three different operating systems (OS) which are as follows:
- Chrome OS
This operating system is specially designed around an intuitive touch screen interface. Tough, it can be used with a traditional mouse & keyboard. Expanding your navigation options, this OS has integrated Windows Hello features which allows you to log in quickly using a look or a touch instead of using a password.
Windows also offer an updated task manager, streamlined file management, and a suite of built-in Apps for maximum performance.
This OS is installed exclusively on MAC computers. It boasts an elegant and easy-to-use interface to complement Mac’s sleek aesthetics ad impressive battery life. Although, Macs had fewer issues with viruses and malware. Moreover, Macbooks start at a higher price point than other laptops. While no Mac computer includes a touch-screen display.
Chromebooks are laptops that run Chrome OS so fast. The Chrome OS is a fast, simple, and secure operating system by Google. It is specifically built for the web and is tailor-made to run on Chromebook hardware. Chromebook leverage the Google play store which means they can run millions of apps quickly & efficiently.
Google collaborates closely with popular manufacturers to ensure every Chromebook has built-in security, boot-up, fast performance, and easy to use with automatic updates.
Features To Look For In A Laptop
If you’re in the market or online for the best laptop, then there some features that you should need to consider before clicking the “add to cart” button.
Laptop screen size range from 11 to 17 inches. The screen size of laptops is measured diagonally. A laptop with a large screen is perfect for gaming, watching movies, and photo & video editing. However, a big screen will increase the overall size, weight, and power consumption.
Higher resolution equals better picture quality. Laptops screen come in a different range of resolutions which are as follows:
- 4k UHD: This type of resolution boasts four times the pixels of FHD, creating rich colors and images for viewing & editing crispy images and graphics.
- QHD: This extremely high pixel resolution creates crisp detail and sharp text which is ideal for professional photo and video editing and professional gamers.
- Retinal Display: Usually, this resolution is found in Apple laptops.
- Full HD: This type of resolution allows you to watch Blu-ray movies and play high-end video games without losing any level of display detail.
Various display technologies yield different colors and brightness levels. Most laptops features LED backlighting which can display bright colors without power consumption. So, if you plan to use your laptop for watching movies, then you should choose a display with an IPS panel for wide viewing angles.
Display screen with glossy finish provides rich colors and darker blacks. While the matte reduces the glare if you frequently work outdoor.
The processor is the brain of the computer. Working in combination with system memory, the power of the CPU determines the complexity of software you can run. It also determines how many programs you can run at once and how fast those programs will run. Most laptops are powered by an Intel or AMD processor.
These processors provide you the widest range of laptop choices among different brands, form factors, display options, and even operating systems. Intel’s most prevalent series is Intel Core processors.
- Core i9: Intel Core i9 processor is perfect for a high-quality gaming experience and high-demand content creating video editing including 4k or 360-degree.
- Core i7: This processor is excellent for power users such as gamers, graphic designers, and mechanical engineers.
- Core i5: This mid-grade core processor is powerful enough for most computing tasks, and multitasking. So, you can smoothly stream intensive games while looking up stats and sending emails.
- Core i3: This is an entry-level core processor more adequate for everyday tasks such as email, browsing the web, and writing documents. Moreover, it is also great for common activities like listening to music.
From professional work to play, AMD Ryzen Mobile processors with Radeon Vega graphics deliver an excellent multitasking experience, high-quality visuals, and healthy battery life.
- Ryzen 9: Ryzen 9 is AMD’s most premium processor which delivers both power and battery efficiency for heavy-duty gaming and content creation.
- Ryzen 7: This processor provides you enough power you need for demanding tasks including photo & video editing, running heavy applications, and playing intensive games with smooth frame rates.
- Ryzen 5: This processor is responsive and efficient to maximize battery life while providing performance for home and office tasks.
The Apple M1 chip is Apple’s first processor which is specially designed for Mac users. It can be found in the latest generations of Macbooks. The Apple M1 system on a chip integrates the CPU, GPU, Neural Engine, and I/O for maximum performance, custom technologies, and power efficiency.
Random Access Memory (RAM) is crucial because it helps your processor to tackle multiple tasks at once. A minimum of 2GB of RAM is required for basic computing and 8GB or 12GB is recommended if you’re into graphics and high-quality photo & video editing.
Most laptops have 4GB to 12GB pre-installed memory and some of them have up to 64GB. If you think you might need more RAM, then you should go with a laptop that allows you to expand the RAM.
When it comes to storage, a minimum of 64GB storage will give you more flexibility and data transfer speed. However, if you intend to store high-resolution images & videos, then you should consider 256GB or more. Moreover, if you want to download heavy games and 4k movies, then you can go with 512GB.
Generally, there are two types of storage which are as follows:
- Hard Disk Drives
- Solid State Drives
Hard Disk Drives:
These drives are still found in some laptops because they are relatively inexpensive and offer more storage capacity. However, they also add weight & thickness to the laptop and generate both heat and noise.
Hard drives come in two standard speed 5400 RPM drives which are sufficient for everyday tasks such as emailing and document creation. While the 7200 RPM is worth considering if you deal with huge files.
Solid State Drives:
Solid State Drives (SSDs) are much faster than hard disk drives. But they offer less storage capacity. These also offer excellent advantages in physical size, weight, and power efficiency. Moreover, SSDs have no moving parts; this also makes them the excellent ability to withstand bumps & jolts you can them with you.
Laptops enhancements such as increased processing power, higher resolution, and fast hard drives will drain your battery quickly. However, laptops with SSDs can improve power efficiency.
Typically, laptops provide several connectivity options for next-generation connectivity. Most laptops offer Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth capabilities so you can easily sync your smartphone, speakers, and other computer accessories. Some models also feature a voice assistant.
You should keep an eye out for the following ports that are commonly used for connecting TVs, cameras,s, and other peripheral devices.
- USB Type-A: This port allows you to connect external drives, gaming controllers, headphones, and many more. While the USB 3.0 ports are distinguished by a blue insert and transfer data faster than USB 2.0 when used with USB 3.0 devices.
- USB Type-C: This port provides blazing speed and amazing power. The USB Type-C features connectors with identical ends that plugin upside down or right-side-up.
- Thunderbolt: This port provides ultra-high bandwidth for fast data transfer between external devices.
- HDMI: Through this port, you can connect a projector or display HD media on your TV screen.